Hope you all are doing well! Today I wanted to share my March book haul since I’m back from my hiatus. This March book haul had a few big surprises and digital library audio books. I entered a really weird reading mood/slump in March. With being home so much with all of this going on, I got the sense of having “all the time in the world” to get to certain things and also being WAY too absorbed into Animal Crossing: New Horizons and making sure all the chores are done and the dogs are happy. But I’m still excited for all of these, so let’s jump in!
- These Broken Stars #1: I finally got this one! After loving Unearthed by this duo, it was clear that I had to try their first series. This trilogy is composed of companion novels with different romances but have a common enemy. I was also excited for this audio book because the male narrator Jonathan McClain is Ezra Mason in Illuminae and Tyler in Aurora Rising, so it’s nice to hear a familiar voice. This first book has pitched to me as “Titanic in space” and I’m here for it.
- Gemina (Illuminae Files #2): It’s funny that contemporary and sci-fi books are the genres that have been calling to me the most. But after finally finishing Illuminae and really liking it, I got the audio book and eBook for the sequel. I haven’t been spoiled for this trilogy at all so I’m excited to get into this sequel completely blind and enjoy the ride.
- Tweet Cute: I was waiting for this audio book for at least 2 months on Overdrive. Luckily, my state Overdrive library got more copies of this and I finally have it. I know this is about a guy and a girl who handle the social media accounts for their family restaurants and while Twitter wars ensue, so does romance. I hope this book lives up to the hype for me.
- Archivist Wasp #1: I know that LaRonda @ Flying Paperbacks really likes this book. This randomly popped into my head as something to try, since I had seen her review on it a long time ago. This was nominated for a whole bunch of awards like the Locust Award and the Andre Norton Award, which are SFF awards. This is about a girl who is the Archivist and she hunts ghosts. But she makes a bargain with a ghost soldier and in return, she will learn the truth of the past. I haven’t heard anyone else talk about this book, but I’m intrigued.
I didn’t buy much for myself in March, since I figured that saving my money wasn’t a bad idea with all that’s going on. So I only got Not Even Bones with my March Audible credit. This is a debut series about a girl whose mother deals in monster parts in the black market. I’ve heard it’s dark and messed up, but I’m interested. Then, one girl I follow on Instagram always shares Kindle deals in her Instagram stories and Bring Me Their Hearts was free on Kindle! I still wanted to include this book because I’ve heard that it’s really fun. Since my library district is closed, I can’t get a physical copy of it, so why not add it to my Kindle library? I hope to get to this soon and enjoy it 🙂
I was over the moon when I got the email that I am auto approved for Random House Children’s on NetGalley!!! I never thought that would happen but I’m so happy. When you are auto approved by a publisher on NetGalley, there’s an “Auto Approval” section where you can see all the books you can just download and read, so a couple of these ARCs are downloads with being auto approved!
- Half Life by Lillian Clark: This was the book that kicked off being auto approved and I’m SO excited! This is the authors second novel after Immoral Code and I had seen her with Kelly Coon at book a event talking about this book. This book follows a girl Lucille whose an overachiever and goes to Life2 where they make clones. Her clone Lucy is perfect in every way, but Lucy also becomes a mirror of who Lucille might want to be. This book sounds like it’s really STEM focused and it sounds really cool.
- Unravel the Dusk (Blood of Stars #2) by Elizabeth Lim: I HAVE IT AT LAST! This is the sequel/conclusion to Spin the Dawn, which I adored last year. I was so nervous at the cliffhanger that book one gave me so I’m ready to see how this ends. If you haven’t read Spin the Dawn, it’s an amazing YA fantasy with fashion, magic and romance and I have really high expectations for this sequel.
- Rebel Spy by Veronica Rossi: I had no idea this was even a thing until I saw it on NetGalley. Normally, Veronica Rossi has written YA sci-fi books but now she’s turned to historical fiction. This book is a re-imagining of the story of Agent 355, a female spy for George Washington during the Revolutionary War! This was so cool to find out about an unnamed female who was a spy so early in American history. So I really hope to like this one, since I love historical fiction.
- Mexican Gothic: My wish was granted for this book on Netgalley, so it was fun email to get. This is a really hyped up book, especially her previous novel Gods of Jade and Shadow was a major hit and still is. This is about a girl in 1950’s who goes to a Gothic mansion to figure out what a grim message her newly married cousin had sent out means. This creepy mansion has weird rules, such as no talking during dinner or using hot water to bathe. I’ve heard this is super weird and creepy, but I hope this is an adult novel that captivates me. I don’t read much adult literature, but I’ve heard great things about this one and this author in general.
- Chasing Lucky: Who isn’t excited about a new Jenn Bennett book? I was so happy to get this on Edelweiss and I did finish this recently so my review is already up. But this about Josie Saint-Martin who returns to the small town of Beauty with her mom to run the family book shop The Nook. She also sees her childhood best friend Lucky Karras again, whose now the token bad boy and is very different from the boy she knew.
- Goddess in the Machine #1 by Lora Beth Johnson: THIS IS THE BIG ONE GUYS!! I got the physical ARC of this book! This showed up at my door right after my work closed and this couldn’t have come at a better time. This one of my TOP anticipated books of the whole year. It follows Andra, who wakes up from cryo sleep to see an entirely different civilization from the one she was supposed to wake up to. Everyone was traveling with in cryo sleep are dead, have been for centuries and their descendants think she’s a goddess. I’ve been trying to finish the earlier ARCs I have instead of reading this but it’s hard lol. But I’ll be reading this soon and I want this to be a new favorite 🙂
That’s my March book haul! What did you get in March? Did you get any of these books? Let me know in the comments!